banneraliexp

Koepka says proposed new world tour might actually happen

by ace
Koepka says proposed new world tour might actually happen

Today´s Deals

(Reuters) – World number one Brooks Koepka said on Tuesday that he thinks the Premier Golf League (PGL), a proposed series that could overshadow major tours, may actually come after plans were announced last week.

ARCHIVE PHOTO: August 25, 2019; Atlanta, GA, USA; Brooks Koepka lines up on the fifth green during the final round of the Tour Championship golf tournament at the East Lake Golf Club. Mandatory credit: Butch Dill-USA TODAY Sports

Although Koepka acknowledged that he still had a lot to learn about the specifics of the proposed circuit, he said he would probably be one of the first to decide whether to participate.

In statements earlier this week to Saudi International, Koepka expressed an interest in learning more about the plans of the World Golf Group (WGG), based in Britain.

After working quietly for years behind the scenes, WGG was released on Saturday with a summary of what it says is a series of 18 annual tournaments starting in 2022.

Each event would feature 48 players competing for three rounds for $ 10 million, using a team franchise system.

If materialized, the new tour would be the biggest change to professional golf in decades, although there are still many obstacles to be resolved for it to become a reality.

"I think it can really happen," Koepka told reporters.

“This is basically a month for me when I realized that okay, that could be a possibility. I think things are developing as we speak.

“When things are more finished and sort of set in stone, and I understand and know exactly where things are falling, then I will probably be one of the first to make a choice or find out what I'm going to do. "

None of the top players questioned about the proposed tour in the past few days, including Rory McIlroy and Phil Mickelson, ruled out participation, even as the PGA Tour told players that the Players Championship cash prize in March will jump to a record $ 15 million.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan also told players last week that tour bags would double in the next five years.

The recent world number one, Dustin Johnson, who is also competing in Saudi Arabia this week, said that PGL "looks interesting", but that it would take a lot to lure him away from the PGA Tour, if that meant renouncing his Association.

Asked if he meant "a lot" financially, Johnson said, "I think probably in all the ways you could think."

Andrew Both reporting in Cary, North Carolina; Editing by Toby Davis

Our standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust principles. . (tagsToTranslate) USA (t) GOLF (t) WORLDTOUR (t) Golf (t) Sport (t) Sports business (t) Europe (t) Middle East (t) United Kingdom (t) Photos (t) Saudi Arabia (t ) United States

Recommended Shopping

banneraliexp

DIVIDER1

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

three × two =

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More